Support your Committee on Political Education!
Dear AFT Member,
The California state budget crisis and the economic downturn have negatively impacted public education. Nevertheless, faculty members are taking action against layoffs, program cuts and a host of state legislative challenges.
Across the country, anti-union forces are mounting legislative attacks that limit collective bargaining rights. The same forces that have wiped out collective bargaining rights for teachers in Wisconsin are working in California. In November’s election, a ballot measure called the Corporate Deception Act aims to restrict the ability of labor unions to use member's voluntary COPE contributions for political purposes. Corporate interests already outspend unions 15 to 1 in politics. If this bill passes, it will be 15 to 0.
Higher education faculty, community members, and students, are taking action to save public education by flooding boardrooms, lobbying college Trustees, and challenging Sacramento politicians to fully fund higher education.
You have an opportunity to make a difference. AFT Local 1828 members are taking political action by voluntarily contributing to our COPE fund, which builds a stronger AFT Local 1828 political program.
Contributing to the COPE fund allows faculty members to:
- Elect trustees who support a fair collective bargaining process
- Hold trustees accountable to the public interest through lobbying
- Become informed on political issues that matter most to educators
- Participate in the democratic political process
- Fight back against anti-union, anti-public education legislation
Your voluntary contribution of $5 (part-time faculty) or $10 (full-time faculty) creates political power for Local 1828 members and the community of students we serve. Can we count on you? It is easy to do:
- Check off a voluntary contribution amount increase to $5-$10 (or more!) on the COPE form
- Authorize your contribution by signing the form
- Then deliver, mail, fax or scan the form to your campus VP or to the AFT Office
- Deductions will be made from your paychecks (regular dues remain unchanged)
Our COPE fund is an important political tool for faculty. Will you take action and help build our power in this time of crisis?
Thank you for your support!
AFT Local 1828